Sunday, January 01, 2006

Happy New Year!

To bring in the New Year, I thought I'd dig up some helpful quotes and sites, and let you choose your poison. Enjoy, and have a great New Year!


Some quotes to inspire you in the New Year:

Youth is when you're allowed to stay up late on New Year's Eve. Middle age is when you're forced to. ~Bill Vaughn
-- Does this mean I'm middle aged at 23?

An optimist stays up until midnight to see the new year in. A pessimist stays up to make sure the old year leaves. ~Bill Vaughan
-- I don't think I know a true pessimist then...

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. ~Benjamin Franklin
-- How very true. I hope each year I'm a better... man?

Year's end is neither an end nor a beginning but a going on, with all the wisdom that experience can instill in us. ~Hal Borland
-- Agreed. Life is like a fine wine, it gets better with age.

The proper behavior all through the holiday season is to be drunk. This drunkenness culminates on New Year's Eve, when you get so drunk you kiss the person you're married to. ~P.J. O'Rourke
-- Talk about wild celebrations!

New Year's Day: Now is the accepted time to make your regular annual good resolutions. Next week you can begin paving hell with them as usual. ~Mark Twain
-- Truer words were never spoken.

We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year's Day. ~Edith Lovejoy Pierce
-- I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Other tidbits of need-to-know information for the New Year:

Hangover Helpers: Beyond Sheep Eyes
-- from the NY Times online

Horoscopes
-- from the Pioneer Press online

New Years
-- definition by Wikipedia... in case you didn't know what is was...

New Year's resolution
-- Wikipedia pulls through again. I like that in the definition is says "many resolutions go unachieved and are often broken fairly shortly after they are set" the definition itself is even pessimistic. Does anyone keep their New Year's resolution any more?

Countdown to New Years
-- Who knew about the additional leap second? I surely didn't.

New Years Around the World
-- a neat site with pictures. Oooo pretty-pie!

Resolution Solutions
-- by the perfect woman, Martha Stewart.

So, armed with this valuable knowledge, I hope all of you have a great year. Make it better than the last, and look back with no regrets. Happy New Year!

No comments: