Wednesday, December 28, 2005

A Case of the Counterfeit Accent

I just got a call from my roomie to check plans for the evening. He's been out of town for about a week visiting his relatives in the Lone Star State.

As I was talking to him, I noticed that some words he tried (rather poorly) to say with a ladened Southern drawl... I should preface by saying, he's from
small-town Minnesota, (tee-hee this picture fits him in so many ways) and is a MN native through and through. His Minnesooootan accent puts the movie Fargo to shame, it's that thick friends.

I just ignored his deplorable attempt at the drawl. He sounded like a back-woods-Loui'ville-hick, rather than a
silver buckle-wearing-Texan. It was almost funny, had it not been so atrocious.

As the conversation progressed, I could tell he was trying to get me to say something about his "cool-accent", because it was getting thicker and increasingly galling with each passing sentence. I hung up.

(I don't think he reads this, so that gives me liberty to post about him.) Oh roomie, I love you, you're funny. I should've said something about your lurid accent of unknown origin, but alas, I didn't. Oh well, maybe next time.

No comments: